the Paisley Schwa

Saying something witty here is way overrated. But then again, so is rebelling against saying something witty. What a quandry.

10.20.2005

The Great Democratization of Opinion...

I love the internet...in a very real, but qualified way.

Take blogging, for instance. With a blog, I can publish some of the things I think about. I can tell folks who don't know a single thing about me what I think about a certain subject or idea.

What qualifies me to have a blog? Well, a computer and internet connection. That's all. No particular schooling in a specialized subject. I can drone about the finer points of quantum physics will little or no knowledge of the subject at hand.

What qualifies me to be a BRAIN SURGEON? Years of schooling and training.

I can 'publish' my thoughts...doesn't that sound official?

Now, I am wondering what the net affect of this newly-found 'self importance' has on the way I view my opinions...does it lend a sort of silent legitimacy to them?

What thinkest thou?

Pax.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:44 PM, Blogger Matthew Celestine said…

    Yes, blogging is great.

     
  • At 2:28 PM, Blogger JohnQuincyAddingMachine said…

    Quite interesting, especially when compared to 100, 200, 1,000 years ago. So hard to communicate in ages past. I cannot imagine trying to do my schoolwork without internet. Not too long ago people actually had to use books and libraries! What medieval times...ha ha.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home