the Paisley Schwa

Saying something witty here is way overrated. But then again, so is rebelling against saying something witty. What a quandry.

2.07.2005

Mardi Gras

My fam and I just returned from our 4th Mardi Gras parade here on the Eastern Shore of the Mobile Bay. For those who may not know it (read: people like me before I moved to Daphne, AL!)--the 'Mardi Gras' seems to be a week or two of parades with fancy dancing balls following after the parades. The parades are each put on by different 'krewes' which seem to be some type of club. We attended two parades with all men on the floats, and two parades with all women.

My favorite happened to be the parade of the Order of the Mystic Magnolias--an all women group. The people riding the floats in the parades hurl beads, moon pies, candy, cups, hula hoops, dubloons, and stuffed animals from the floats, showering the crowd--it is truly a sight to behold. Raining junk. Amazing.

I think it will take a while for me to plumb the depths of my experience...so you'll probably see it here when I do...

Pax.
Chris

1 Comments:

  • At 10:33 PM, Blogger Matt Katzenberger said…

    Well, I didn't expect you to keep posting...I thought it was just for the night. But, it's 12:30 in the AM and I'm surfing the web out of boredom. Actually, to try to calm down...I was just working on a scary story I'm writing and got myself spooked, which is sad. Anyway, I'm starting to calm enough for rest. My battery is going to die soon anyway.

    Mardi gras...I wish I'd been there for the free junk. I like free junk when it tastes good or is soft and furry. Oh well...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home